"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, January 31, 2011

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading is hosted by One Persons Journey through a world of Books. Each week we spotlight the books we are reading, planning on reading or just finished reading.

What I'm currently reading:
Jane by April Lindner  I just started this book so I don't have an opinion yet.  Here is how Goodreads describes the book: "Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers." I am very excited to dig in.






What I'm currently listening to on audiobooks:
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly.  From Goodreads: "Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. " I am nearly 1/4th of the way into this story and Andi hasn't discovered Alexandrine's diary yet.  She'd better do it soon because I am sick of the Andi who has a "whiny, depressed, bratty girl" persona.  I want to get on with the story and more about the French Revolution and less about unhappy Andi.



What I just finished reading:
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.  I have no doubt that this will be my favorite book club selection of the whole year. As Verghese said, he wanted to write a book about medicine and he has done it with a marvelous setting (Ethiopia) and a wonderful cast of characters.  I highly recommend this book to any adult readers, especially for book groups.  You will want to talk about this book when you are done.




What is up next:
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan.  I am really excited to get started on this book.  It is considered by some to be one of the best debut books of the decade.







Have you read any of these?  What are your thoughts about them?

4 comments:

  1. One of my book groups is reading Cutting for Stone this month as well, but I haven't begun it yet. I really liked Mudbound so can't wait to see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutting for Stone was fantastic, although I read it two years ago. I loved every bit of it! I'm reading The Cookbook Collector and hoping to sneak in a Jo Nesbo mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good books, Anne!

    I loved Jane Eyre, so Jane sounds interesting. I just added Revolution to my TBR list last week - it sounds wonderful.

    And I just bought Cutting for Stone with my Christmas gift cards last week - I can't wait to read it!!

    You will love Mudbound - it's a wonderful book!

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutting for Stone sounds very intruguing and I think I had it on my virtual shelf for a long time and didn't really know why anymore. But now I know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.