"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

I just closed this book and decided I'd best blog about it right away before the magic fades.

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan is a remarkable and unique book and it makes me want to grab a dictionary and try to write the rest of the blog in the same style as the book.

remarkable, adj.
     I am reading along thinking this book is so clever.  Every page starts with a different word from the dictionary, in alphabetical order, and tells the story by defining the word in context to the developing relationship. It really is quite extraordinary and notably refreshing. I sure hope this book gets the attention it deserves.

unique, n., adj.
     I have never read a book like it before.  It is the sole example of a tale written as if by a dictionary, to my knowledge.

urge, v.
     Does this earnest recommendation press you into action and make you want to jump up, run to the libray or bookstore, and take a look at this book?  I sure hope so.  I do recommend that you grab a dictionary before you sit down with it as there may be a few words you'll need to look up--I did!

example, n.
     Though I am having fun trying to emulate his work, take a look at a few samples of Mr. Levithan's own words:
corrode, v.
I spent all this time building a relationship. Then one night I left the window open, and it started to rust. -p.64
ineffable, adj.
These words will ultimately end up being the barest of reflections, devoid of the sensations words cannot convey. Trying to write about love is ultimately like trying to have a dictionary represent life.  No matter how many words there are, there will never be enough. -p. 120
lover, n.
Oh, how I have hated this word...I have never wanted a lover.  In order to have a lover, I must go back to the root of the word. For I have never wanted a lover, but I have always wanted to love, and be loved. - p. 137
Here is what David Levithan says about the book on his website: 
The Lover’s Dictionary, my first book about post-teenagers, has now hit stores. As with many of my novels, it started as a story for Valentine’s Day – it was February 1st, and I knew I only had two weeks to write something, so I opened up a book of “words to know” and decided to take random words and apply them to a relationship. The result? The story of two people who have been together for a little over two years, told entirely in dictionary form. All the ups, all the downs, and all the in-between. --David Levithan

savor, v. with object
     I gave myself over to the enjoyment of this book.  I heartily recommend it to mature readers and hope they'll enjoy every minute of it, too.

7 comments:

  1. How impressed am I that you did your post in the style of the book (and not an easy style, I might add). Very impressive. It sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I went out and bought this one tonight, and I'm really looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, amazing review! Hearing that the book is written in the same unique way as this review is very exciting. Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous review! When I first learned about this book, I envisioned some super talented blogger trying to write a dictionary style review. I'm so happy you actually did it! The Lover's Dictionary sounds just lovely, if not a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever review, Anne :) I love how originality never ceases to amaze and seems to be infinite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this review. It makes me want to read the book even more. I am a new follower.

    P.S. - Thanks for stopping by Reading Lark! :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.